Bullying: An Issue in Sagada and Elsewhere

Friday, November 28, 2008

Lori Drew, a 49-year old Missouri mother was accused of cyberbullying a 13-year old neighbor that apparently led to the teenager's suicide. Drew reportedly targeted the teen after the girl had a falling out with Drew's daughter, and she set out to "embarrass her, to humiliate her, to make fun of her and to hurt her". She created a dummy MySpace account for a teenage boy and pretended to befriend the teenage girl and eventually broke up with her through an email. The teen was so distraught by what happened that she eventually hanged herself. See the full story on 'Cyber Bully' Mom Cleared Of Felony In MySpace Suicide Case.

This is such a sad case for both parties. You now have a dead teenager, and a mother who is going to jail for her actions. Two families are severely impacted by this bullying incident. What I cannot imagine is the hatred that existed in Lori Drew's mind. How can a mother do such a thing to another's child?

In the broader context, bullying - whether virtual or physical is a challenge for the children being bullied. As a student attending Bomabanga (Sagada Central School), I was also bullied by at least 3 boys who were much older and bigger than me. I was terrified meeting them on the school grounds, and as an adult, I can even remember the hurting taunts they'd tell when they see me. I was blessed to have had a loving family who raised me in an environment where my self-worth was not determined by what bullies thought. And later on, I learned to forgive these bullies. I was wise enough to acknowledge that I cannot control what others think, but I can control how I react to circumstances. Eventually, I would meet these bullies in the streets of Sagada when I was older. I'd greet them and smile at them as if nothing ever happened.

But that's me, and I'm blessed. There are other bullied children out there like the teen who created suicide and who may have allowed bullies to determine their self-worth. It is a common issue in schools and something that should be addressed by those in authority - whether this be in Sagada or in Missouri.

5 comments:

Anonymous November 29, 2008 at 2:33 PM  

sino da todi ta sak sapliten daida? mailuwam da ah.

Anonymous November 30, 2008 at 7:07 AM  

hahaha. adi masapol, anonymous 2:33PM. i just wished that bullying is an issue to be taken seriously by school administrators.

Kayni December 2, 2008 at 11:30 AM  

oh yes, i was bullied in school too as i've always been healthier looking than the others =). i did succumbed to crying at times, but i took their bullying as a challenge and made sure that "living a full life is the best revenge." i do agree, that schools should look into bullying. bullying has serious psychological effects especially when it's been done constantly at a very young age.

CHERYL L. DAYTEC December 2, 2008 at 5:14 PM  

Bullies are terribly insecure people. They do not pick people their own size. They single out the vulnerable ones to slake their thirst for blood, for violence, for victory (however empty). And bullying does happen everywhere- in school, in the political arena of a state, even in the world system.

In the Philippines, our Unelected President is a bully. She imposes her strong Devil's will on a very hungry nation which is too emaciated to protest.

Hey, why don't these people pick someone their own size?

Anonymous December 4, 2008 at 9:57 PM  

kayni, i think we are both blessed to have families behind us. that helps cope with bullying way better. imagine if you are bullied both at school and at home...

kayni, that's a real witty observation. bullies are power hungry too.