South Beach Diet works...

Thursday, July 9, 2009

sagada igorot blog - south beach dietGrowing up, I was always skinny. No matter how much I ate, I never seemed to gain weight. This was true all the way until college, and when I started working. Then I got married. And I suppose as true in almost a 100% of the cases, I started to pack it in. I never tracked my weight until recently, but I knew it wasn't a good situation when my clothes started NOT to fit. And then came the reminders. An aunt, very much aware that my dad passed away due to cardiac arrest at the age of 48 warned me to watch it. Other well-meaning relatives warned me of the same. Aside from my clothes not fitting, I also realized I was tiring easily. I couldn't keep up with my boys on a few minutes of soccer. My annual wellness check-up last year indicated I was well into the overweight stage - closer to being obese than being in the normal range. My blood sugar was up, and my cholesterol level was not ideal.

Somehow, I got convicted to do something about it. I remember a visitor we had last year indicating that the South Beach diet worked for her. I researched in the Internet and found out that the diet was designed by a cardiologist; and was used successfully by a lot of people including former President Bill Clinton. So I gritted my teeth and decided to pursue it.

The most challenging part was the first phase of the diet - the first 2 weeks was very strict. No RICE, no FRUIT, no PASTA, no CORN, no POTATOES - the idea was to emphasize lean meats, such as chicken, turkey, fish, and shellfish. Low-glycemic-index vegetables are allowed as well as low-fat cheese, nuts, eggs. I thought I wouldn't be able to keep it but I knew I had to try.

Day 1 was fine; but Day 2 was a disaster. There was a food festival at the office showcasing various foods from Asia Pacific countries - I threw the diet out of the window and indulged in all types of food from the Philippines, India, Russia, China, Pakistan and Korea. Yum. In my mind, there was always a Day 3, hahaha. Eventually, I was able to complete 14 consecutive days of strict dieting - the final result: a grand weight loss of 12 pounds. I did minimal exercising - just following a rigid diet that didn't allow me to starve and had me snacking twice a day between 3 full meals. The results were dramatic enough for some colleagues who saw me everyday at the office to notice it. I was smiling too as I noticed my once too-tight clothes fitting more nicely.

There's a sub-story to it - my wife, who wasn't really convinced initially that I would stick to my diet saw the changes in me. When I was on my second week, she started her first week too. She never got to complete the full 14-day routine, but she has cut down on her carbohydrate intake and voila, she also has lost 10 pounds or so. It's been almost 2 months since we lost weight and we've managed to keep the pounds off - even after attending several picnics and parties. We haven't really stuck to the 2nd and 3rd phases of the South Beach diet which should lead us to reach our target body weight, but we're getting there. The first phase was a good weight loss starter. We do plan to shed more pounds in the coming months so our body mass index (BMI) would be well within the normal range.

Some of the wonderful lessons on losing weight:
- losing weight together with your spouse is a very enriching experience
- exploring new food choices can be fun
- plain boiled / steamed vegetables can be very tasty
- you don't have to starve to lose weight
- me, a Filipino, can survive without rice
- attitude matters (I guess in everything, including losing weight)
- eating the right foods will make you continually crave for the right foods
- turning your back on an ice cream cone / soda can be very satisfying
- my knees are happier when I jog now that I'm 12 lbs lighter

Online tools I use: South Beach Diet for Beginner; Body Mass Index Calculator. The photo above is a lovingly prepared meal of scrambled egg, ground chicken breast and vegetables, string cheese, asparagus and assorted nuts. And, for any weight loss activity, the BEFORE (May 2009) and AFTER (June 2009) photos serve as evidence.

sagada igorot blog: before diet

sagada igorot blog: after diet

7 comments:

2009 Nursing Board Exam Result July 10, 2009 at 8:11 AM  

Maybe you don't really need a diet,all you need is a time to relax and release all the stress that you have since your childhood years...:)

SaGaDa-iGoRoT July 10, 2009 at 10:25 PM  

mr/ms 2009 nursing board exam result: not really sure what you meant. i don't think my childhood years were stressful - and yes, as adults, we do need to be responsible in what we take into our bodies. have a good weekend.

Niche Topics July 11, 2009 at 9:12 PM  

Congrats on your weight loss! I am "rice" person and find it so hard to cut down on carbs! My wife is a great cook...she has a big part on my weight gain LOL!!

SaGaDa-iGoRoT July 12, 2009 at 5:14 PM  

Niche Topics, thanks for dropping by. Yep, I'd always think that I could never survive without rice. BUT, I've proven otherwise.

Maria (South Beach Diet) September 23, 2009 at 4:10 PM  

Thanks for sharing your story! It's very inspiring as I have considered going through this diet as well. Being a Filipino who loves rice, it can be a challenge!! I think the mains keys to losing weight is to eat healthy and exercise consistently - even if it's just going for a walk around the block.

Traveliztera July 29, 2010 at 3:13 AM  

Wow! Congrats! :D I must agree that you don't need to starve urself in order to lose weight--u just slow down ur metabolism when u do that! Congrats again! :)

Precious February 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM  

I'm on my 6th day now and like you, I indulged on my day 2. For me it was potatoes. Hahahahaha.