Sagada and Drugs

Friday, May 23, 2008


Photo Credit: AllPosters.com

"One traveller I met managed to occupy himself for almost two weeks in Sagada. Superficially I wonder how anyone wouldn't become terribly bored spending so long here; but after a few minutes of pensive, lethargic, delayed conversation with him, I realised that substances can play a role in keeping Sagada interesting. There is a rumor here about an expat who supplies the town with certain baked goods... perhaps that is why the people are so pleasant to get along with, but laid back to the point that in restaurants one must go to the counter to get service."
The above quote from one of Fatduck's Sagada entries at his TravelPod blog suggests that drugs has something to do with (a) keeping Sagada interesting, and (b) the pleasantness of the people.

Sadly, Sagada and drugs is a reality. As a teenager, I saw a couple of adult neighbors roll and smoke marijuana before my eyes. I'll be a hypocrite to say that I've never tried it; for out of curiosity and some teenage rebellion, I tried the substance once - and that was that. I was blessed to had some guidance from my folks to stay away from drugs, and not even to consider them at all. It's not the case for some i-Sagada. I know a couple of guys who are doing prison sentences having been convicted of drug dealing. I also remember a month when Sagada was the target of drug bust operations from the country's National Bureau of Investigation. Checking my website traffic report, I saw a hit coming from a browser in South Korea searching for "Sagada and drugs".

From the outside, Sagada's drug problem looks controlled and contained within a very small group. However, it is still a problem that needs to aggressively dealt with if Sagada is to remain amongst one of the better destinations in the country. It would be good to see both the local government and businesses working together on this. In the long run, a drug-free Sagada, will benefit the locals the most.

Having said that, drugs has nothing to do with keeping Sagada interesting or the attitude of the locals. Almost all visitors including Fatduck enjoy the place because of the natural high a stay in this town offers. Locals are pleasant and easy to get along with as with any other tourist town in the world. To suggest otherwise is just not right.

7 comments:

Unknown August 28, 2008 at 1:38 AM  

Gawis tay getken tako ay manghandle isnan issues id ili... tetewa baw iman ay wda nan menususar is mj, amu tako sa... sha nan tapin di sumikatan d sagada id kasin (shamrock)

gawis met tay its not as rampant as before....

am just learning to do blog things,,i just hope this comment will be posted....

Anonymous September 11, 2008 at 6:53 AM  

i want to comment about this drug issue snan ili tako. ay inayan tay snan 16 years ay ninteteak snan ili tako, dan ado obpay nan adik amo ay maikikan. men-os-os-kila ak d wani sna up, ngem ay ngan nan aped da kanan ken sak-en, agtak kano daida is mj tay ado kano nan mula tako d isa.
d siyempre nakikidebate ako na mali sila, ay maid kadtodi ken datako. ngem isnan nagbisitaak snan kabsat father ko, kanana ay tetewa kano di. siyempre shocked ako tay dan egay ko polos inamamo nan tetewa ay mikmikan.
gawis tay wadan ninsulat about this issue. i just hope mabasan am-in nan kailian tako na. sapay kuma ta solusyunan nan officials tako id sagada nan naay ay issue because it's really destroying our reputation

Anonymous September 11, 2008 at 7:17 AM  

hello! I just want to ask something. I hope that you would be able to read and answer this. I wondering if you understand kankanaey because the comment I posted regarding the drugs in Sagada is in kankanaey. Are you from Sagada, but currently, you are staying in a different place, US, maybe?
Thank yoou. I am looking forward for your answer. by the way, nice blog!

sagadablues March 31, 2009 at 5:25 AM  

mayat tay wada kakadwa ay mangsupsupurtar sin ili tako,actually taga sagada ak metlang and recently recides here acting as a tourist guide,it's a shame hearing things like this about our hometown if only those people doing such a shame for our hometown know that we are fighting for our place cos of them,kababain,

Anonymous May 14, 2009 at 4:38 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous May 14, 2009 at 4:39 AM  

Good day! Im from one of the largest TV network in the Philippines, and Im really interested in this topic. Can we talk? I can call you even overseas. or if you want you can refer me to someone. hoping that you can help me on this. here is my email address so that you can contact me privately. lbernos@yahoo.com or lbernos@gmail.com. thanks!

Anonymous May 31, 2011 at 3:33 AM  

I am just curious Mr. Galan,what has shamrock got to do with your comment?