Sagada Bands

Sunday, May 18, 2008

I'm not musically inclined. But most of i-Sagada (people from Sagada) are. My dad was not blessed with a good voice, but I heard he was very good in musical instruments. One of my most vivid memories of my grandmother was when she sang to us when we were kids, and how she used to do it alone while putting finishing touches on her Sagada Weaving products. Sadly though, I didn't get any iota of their musical inclination.

I remember people breaking out into community singing during events. There were a couple of concerts which even I joined in when I was a kid. There's also plenty of songs in the Sagada culture, from wedding medleys to dirges. And other than the normal lullabies, there's the "tek-tek-tek abi-yay-o" that scared a child to sleep. I remember spontaneously transforming this chant into a rap medley with some buddies after going home one quiet Sagada night.

Growing up, I've heard the most heartfelt country music songs sang at bonfires. With the many tourist establishments sprouting up like mushrooms after a June shower, the inevitable happened - Sagada bands are forming. Below is a sampling of the Sagada band, Dap-ayan, with "kordilyera eeyah".

(Video Credit: Biyaheng Pinoy)

1 comments:

Biyaheng Pinoy March 16, 2010 at 4:11 PM  

I'm starting to hate you. How come you never told me about this? Haha. I actually enjoyed watching and listening to their live music more than making this video. :)