Sagada Folk Stories

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Growing up in Sagada, my grandparents from both sides amused me with stories. My maternal grandfather told about Otot-otot (otot is the Kankana-ey word for rat), and his adventures. I remember my cousins and I sitting attentively, as he sat on his rocking chair in Bang-owaw, and told us about one adventure after another. In fact, my sons have listened to similar Otot-otot tales I've concocted on my own. I've learned to "modernize" my Otot-otot stories as well. I've told tales of Otot-otot and the Pokemon Trainer as well as Otot-otot and the Sith Lord.

My paternal grandmother also liked to tell stories. She called it her "story-telling-a-lie". I don't remember much of her made up stories. I don't suppose they were that interesting - what I really liked best about my grandmother were her stories about her childhood.

Sagada's older folks like to tell stories. The list of stories I have below are from a Dr. Henry Scott compilation of Sagada folk tales translated by Sagada high school students in the 1950s. If you have Sagada folk stories that you want to share with this blog, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you and enjoy the stories.

The Origin of Sagada
How Sagada got its Name
Why some are Pagans and some are Christians
The Origin of the Rocks of Sagada
Why the Spirits of the Dead Cannot be Seen
Why our Heads Cannot be Removed

0 comments: